Saturday, March 8, 2014

Cooking Project with the Kids : Blueberry Microwave Cake in A Cup




So, it was Friday and I had a very busy day, cooking lunch (which I seldom do) cos on Fridays the school serves porridge and Mikail will come home hungry, and I decided to further tire myself by dusting the entire house, vacuuming, mopping and washing all the toilets -what was I thinking?- 

It was nearly evening and I was just finishing up the last toilet when Umair came to me and asked "Mommy, can we make a cake? With milk and blueberries and erm.. what else? Let me see.." and he proceeded to raid the fridge with an angelic smile on his face. Sigh.. since he asked so nicely and that smile.. that I couldn't resist. I said ok but wait till I finished up all my chores and find a recipe on the internet. Of course, I wouldn't dream of baking one in the oven that would take too much effort, so a microwave cake in a cup it will be. 

My experience with cakes in a cup has been quite limited, I've tried a few that didn't quite turn out well and the kids had made one super nice and moist chocolate microwave cake in a cup once in their school camp which sadly didn't come with a recipe. So, in searching for the recipe I found this page "30 Mug Recipes - Amazing Desserts in The Microwave" totally droolsome BUT the page "Mug Cake Round Up - Eight of the Best and Worst Microwave Desserts" more useful as she had tested these recipes and some of the desserts that appear on that page had also appeared in the first one, so yup I chose one from the Eight of the Best Microwave Desserts. Which leads to Meyer Lemon Mug Cake recipe here:


Meyer Lemon Mug Cake from www.crafthabit.com - look at that picture! I can't take shots like this!

And just for the fun of it, we are going to try another microwave cake in a cup recipe from food.com that got a 3 and 1/2 stars "Yummy Microwave Blueberry Mug Cake"

So the kids got ready: 

resepi microwave kek
Cooking With Kids : Microwave Blueberry Cake in A Cup

Microwave Blueberry Cake in  A Cup

The above ingredients are for the two different recipes.

The Meyer Lemon Cake (of course I omitted the lemon cos I want to use blueberries instead) ingredients are as such:

3 tbsp flour
3 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
salt
1 egg
2tbsp vegetable oil
blueberries as desired

(Please view the full recipe in the original site as mine is an improvisation of the original recipe)

How to make the cake: 

1. Beat egg and vegetable oil
2. Put in the flour, sugar, baking powder and a lil bit of salt and whisk well.
3. Add in desired blueberries 
4. Microwave for 1.5 - 2 minutes (mine took 1.5 minutes)
  

The Blueberry Cake ingredients are as such:

4 tbsp flour
2 tbsp white sugar (original recipe calls for 4 tbsp of sugar subsitute)
2 tbsp brown sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda (original recipe calls for 1 tsp)
5 tbsp milk
1-2 tbsp blueberries

How to make the cake:

1. mix the flour, sugar and baking soda together.
2. Add in the milk and whisk well.
3. Add in blueberries.
4. Microwave for 1.5-2 minutes (mine took 1.5 minutes)



cooking with kids ideas
the kids making the cake


resepi kek microwave
This is the Microwave Blueberry Recipe from Food.com

This is the recipe based on Meyer Lemon Mug Cake from crafthabit.com

Both cake turned out delicious but of course can't compare to oven baked cakes. The recipe from food.com was a soft and maybe slightly wet and it's not very fluffy, but it tasted nice both warm and after it has cooled down. And yes, I will only make it for personal consumption and no I will not serve this to guests :p

The recipe from crafthabit.com was a stunner when warm, light and airy almost like a real cake, I started wishing I had some cream to enjoy it with and yes I agree with Raych Krueger, I don't mind serving this to guests but not when it has cooled down cos it was a a bit dry then but still the best cake in a cup recipe I tried so far :)  


No comments:

Post a Comment