Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Halal Food Hong Kong : Eating Chinese at Islamic Centre Canteen @ Wan Chai

There are a number of halal chinese restaurants in Hong Kong though I only got to know about it after our return. Before the trip, I only know of two halal chinese restaurants in Hong Kong, one in Wan Chai (Islamic Centre Canteen) and another at Lung Kok Road, Kowloon (Islam Food) as appeared in Trip Advisor. We planned to go to both as reviews for the latter was quite good on Trip Advisor and it was nearer to our place. 

We headed for Islamic Centre Canteen on our third day in Hong Kong for lunch before heading to Victoria Peak. As for Islam Food, we picked the wrong night to go (Saturday night) there was a queue outside the restaurant, it was drizzling and the kids were sleeping in the taxi so we didn't go in. 

If you are keen on other chinese restaurants in Hong Kong, the other two are:

Wai Kee at :

Shop 5, 1/F, 2/F, Bowrington Road Market, 21 Bowrington Road, Wan Chai
Tel (852) 2574 1131

Ma's Restaurant at:

GF, 21-25 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Sham Shui Po
Tel (852) 2398 8019


(above information taken from here) Had I known earlier that there is a halal chinese restaurant at Sham Shui Po, I would have definitely visited it when I was doing fabric shopping there instead of having to content with Istanbul Kebab at Dragon Centre)

Ok, back to Islamic Centre Canteen.. the canteen is at the 5th floor of the Wan Chai Mosque (Ammar Mosque and Osman Ramju Sadick Islamic Centre). We were there around 1.30pm. The interior of the restaurant is very basic, but the area was big and tables was abundant though most fill up pretty fast. 

Halal Chinese Food in Hong Kong: This explains why the pictures are so bad  in this post, I had to juggle with a sleeping child on one hand :p


Hubby wanted to try the dumplings (self service) but yours truly aren't really a fan of steamed dumplings so hubby picked 1 type of steamed dumplings and I picked 2 types of fried ones. Honestly speaking, I can't even remember what was inside the dumplings, I think one was shrimp with spinach and the other one I simply can't recollect. The fried dumplings tasted like the fired wantans that we are all too familiar with. I don't prefer the steamed dumplings. Enough said.

islamic centre canteen wan chai
Halal Food Hong Kong: Steamed dumplings and Fried Dumplings

We ordered fried bee hoon for my 4 yo but it was a bit spicy plus I think he finds it weird with sliced aubergines in the bee hoon. This dish did not suit my palate either. My noodle crazy son decided to pass on this dish.

halal hong kong
Halal Food Hong Kong: Fried Bee Hoon
Chinese fried rice was for my 2.5 yo unfortunately he was too deep in slumber to even taste a morsel while we were there, so we had this packed. (This was later enjoyed at Victoria Peak by both siblings, which speaks volume about it since my 4yo is usually adverse to rice)

muslim food in hong kong
Halal Food in Hong Kong: Chinese Fried Rice
Other dishes that we had were sweet and sour fish (delicious), fried chicken junk style (basically fried chicken with some chilies - still not bad) and tomato omelette (this dish came last and errrm.. can I say that I do not recommend this?) 

hong kong halal
Hong Kong Halal Restaurant: Sweet and Sour Fish

where to eat hong kong
Eating Halal in Hong Kong: Fried Chicken Junk Style

Where to eat hong kong
Hong Kong Halal Food : Tomato Omellete


Drinks were milk tea and they tasted like how my mom likes to make it.. not too weak, with sugar and fresh milk.
halal restaurants in hong kong
Halal Food Hong Kong @ Islamic Centre Canteen, Wan Chai

All in all, it was a filling lunch for us and the price of the dishes are easy on the wallet. I wouldn't say that it was very memorable since halal chinese food can be found quite a lot in Singapore, but at least it was a nice break from Indian food that we soon grow tired of towards the end of our holiday :)

Map of Islamic Centre Canteen:
Address: No 40 Oi Kwan Road, Wan Chai, HK



View Larger Map


You May Also Like:
halal hong kong
Mr Kebab near Kowloon Mosque
halal hong kong
Ziafat @ Nathan Road

No comments:

Post a Comment