This is a simple tom yum soup recipe, I omit the chilies and make it very mild so that it is suitable for my small kids. I would not say that it is an authentic Thai Tom Yum Koong that you have to slog over the stove for, rather it is an easy to prepare mild tom yum for the days that you just want a simple soup to sip on a hot afternoon.
Ingredients for my simple thai tom yum recipe are as such:
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion-sliced
1 inch young ginger - bruised
2 stalk of lemongrass - bruised
5 kaffir lime leaves - shredded
3 tbsp fish sauce
juice of 2- 3 lime
water as needed
broccoli, tomatoes, carrots, fresh mushrooms, fresh prawns, squids -all as desired
How to cook the thai tom yum soup:
1. Heat up the vegetable oil in the saucepan and sautee the onions, ginger and lemongrass.
2. Pour in some water (about 1-2 cups) and add in the prawns and kaffir lime leaves until the water boils.
3. Add in the fish sauce, mushrooms and carrots till the carrots are tender.
4. Add in squids, tomatoes and broccoli.
5. Add in the lime and quickly turn off the heat.
Note: You can adjust the taste to your liking by adding more fish sauce or lime juice.