Monday, April 9, 2012

Applying for Dependant Pass Malaysia

[ Dear Readers, it has been a while since this post was written and the visa department has since set up a division called "Expatriates Services Division" so all things related to expats are handled by this division, its on level 3 of Putrajaya Immigration Department, the queue number counter is right in front of the escalator with no queue lines demarcated and very little space for queuing. This counter is also closed during lunch break. After you have taken your queue number, turn to the right side of the counter and walk to the end where the Expatriates Services Division is. Be warned that seats are limited.

Few things to note : 
1) Passport photo for employment/dependant pass still uses the blue background
2) You can apply for your wife and kids dependent passes without them having to be present.
3) Approval process now takes only 3 working days (am not too sure if its because we are only renewing or this apply to new application as well)
4) All contact numbers listed below has changed. Unfortunately, I do not have the updated numbers.  ]

Sigh.. still waiting for the approval of my dependant pass visa and it has been quite a frustrating experience, from hubby's office staff inexperience in dealing with Malaysia's employment pass and dependant pass procedures, to the agent's "bo-chap" behaviour to the less than satisfying visit to Putrajaya Immigration headquarters. Why is getting a simple dependant pass in Malaysia so difficult?

 By right, it should not be difficult, had we not leave everything in the hands of the people that was supposed to do the work right the first time round. I should have done my homework first and ask questions when things don't seem right. 

First, I should have pointed out to the HR officer - when she asked to submit my husband's passport for Malaysia's employment pass application first without submitting the application of my dependant pass concurrently - that the norm is to submit both application together to save processing time. 

Secondly, when my dependant pass (student) was nearing it's expiry date (as she had asked to cancel the pass so that our dependant pass (employment) can be processed) I should have gone to the immigration office myself and asked for an extension called the s-pass, of course when you are there the officers will probably asked why are you applying for the s-pass and then I would have to explain that I am going to apply for a dependant pass (employment) and they would probably just asked me to submit the application  for the dependant pass called DP11A myself. This would give rise to a stituation where my visit to the immigration office (after a long wait and being pushed from one department to another) to be fruitless due to the fact that I did not download the application form (available here) beforehand and does not have the required documentation along with me. This actually happened to us, except that in our case, we (i.e. my kids and I have overstayed in Malaysia while waiting for the dependant pass) So, the bo-chap agent asked us to go to immigration office to ask for special clearance before applying for the dependant pass when in all actuality, he could have done it for us himself as we had overstayed less than 1 month.

We arrived at Putrajaya pretty early in the morning but we chose the wrong day (Friday, which means extra long lunch hour to accommodate for Friday prayers). With two small kids in tow and parking space only available at the open field diagonal to the building (the basement parking is reserved only for staff, I still can not believe it). Waited for our no for 1 hour, after explaining the reason for us overstaying in Malaysia, had to wait for another hour for the officer to write a letter to submit to another department so that they can work out our penalty for overstaying. Received our letter at 1.00pm and I asked the lady, "What time do they break for Friday Prayers and lunch?" to which she replied: "Oh, the counter is open all the time, they don't go for a break" hmm.. impressed, I proceeded upstairs. 

When we reached the one level up (level 4), we were a bit confused where to go as there weren't any clear signs, after asking around, we were informed that we are supposed to get a number at the counter but the counter is closed for lunch and will reopen at 2.15pm. Ok.. conflicting information. So, hubby went for Friday Prayer at the Putrajaya Mosque while I waited with the kids in the car. 

Came back at 2.30pm, got our no, with our kids getting cranky and wanting to go back home, they fell asleep halfway and we had to stand carrying our kids while waiting in the cramped and crowded waiting area. Luckily, our number came up within 20 minutes, approached the counter and explained our situation and was told by the officer that we should go direct to DP 10 counter (which was at level 3) submit the application for DP10 and the DP10 officers will deal direct with his department on whether to impose any penalty for our overstay.

Went back down to level 3 to DP10 department and was told that DP10 is for EP - employment pass and we have to go to the other side which is DP 11 (Dependant Pass under employment). Finally, nearing the end of the day, we arrived at the correct counter and was informed that all we have to do is fill in the DP11A form, and S-Pass form (for our overstay- only applicable if overstaying less than 30 days and you have to pay RM100) and submit the application together with the relevant documentation required. Oh wow, if only things were clear from morning and everyone in all the various visa department in Malaysia Immigration is clear of the procedures and give correct information to the public first hand, we would not have been pushed from one counter to the other the whole day. Needless to say, we were very stressed out from the visit.

So, to avoid disappointment when trying to apply for a dependant pass (under employment)  these are the things that you need to do:

1. Download and print the DP11A application here.

2. Make sure you have your company's stamp on the form.

3. A passport size photo for each dependant.

4. Photocopy of all pages of each dependant's passport (2 copies each if you are form People's Republic of China)

5. Photocopy of all pages of the principal's passport.

6. Personal bond with RM10 stamp if applying for a dependant pass for your parents / child above 21 years old / step child (please check this requirement if applicable direct with the immigration)

7. Photocopy of birth certificates of your children (translated and certified true copies by your embassy if the original document is not in Bahasa Malaysia or English).

8.   Photocopy of your marriage certificate (translated and certified true copies by your embassy if the original document is not in Bahasa Malaysia or English).

The above process will take 7 working days but mine is taking longer because there is a backlog. Our agent submitted our application on 28 march 2012 and after 7 working days exactly, I called the immigration department up to check on the status (after trying to get through the whole morning and being asked to call different extension numbers) I was informed that there is a backlog and they are still processing applications submitted on 14 March 2012. hmmm..

After this approval process, it will take another 3 working days -supposedly- for you to submit your original dependants' passports and have it stamped with the dependant pass.

Below are some important numbers should you need to call up Malaysia Immigration:

General Hotline (the best chance of getting through):
03-8880 1000

Visa Department Hotline (Very very slim chance of getting through):
03-8880 1571

Direct line to DP11 (slightly better chance than the visa department but most likely be answered by a-couldn't-be-bothered-to-help man who will ask you to call another number all within 30 seconds)

03-8880-1440 (DP10 department)
03-8880-1434 and 03-8880-1444 (DP11A - to check status of application)

Immigration Website address : www.imi.gov.my

Let me know if you have any other direct numbers or further information that will be useful to other readers.

You May Also Like:

Opening A Bank Account (DP holders)

40 comments:

  1. As salaamu alaikum

    Awesome information, thank you for taking the time to write down/post the step by step procedure and required documents.

    I think this will be helpful to most people who can read and follow instructions accurately.

    Thanks again!

    Wa Salaam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently in Malaysia on an Employment pass and I plan to process my wife and children's dependent passes myself like you have.

    I'd like to ask, what was the cost of the dependent passes? When filling in the DP11A form, did you need to fill one for each dependent or could you include two dependents on one form?

    I appreciate any info you can offer, thank you much wa salaam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salam,

      Thank you for reading my blog. I would like to clarify one thing, the standard processing time for dependant pass approval is supposed to be 3 working days but will take longer about 1-2 weeks if their system is down or the immigration have back log. Once approved (call the 03-8880-1444 to check) , you have to bring your submission slip and passports and the amount to be paid which the lady at 03-8880-1444 will inform you when you call.

      I'm not sure of the exact breakdown but I was told to bring RM140 x 2 (for both my 2 kids and myself) and RM100 for the special pass (for myself only, apparently the kids didn't have to pay) so total was RM380, however when we reverted back to my husband's company's agent he asked for a bank draft of RM660 payable to Malaysian Immigration. So, I'm not too sure of the costs. I should be getting my dependant pass this Monday, will update you once I get it.

      The pass stamping process will be done in a day if their system is working, if not, you have to come back the next working day to collect the passports.

      When filling up the DP11A form you can put up to two dependants on one form.

      May your experience be easier than mine.

      Salaam..

      Delete
    2. Salaam,

      Thank you again for taking the time to provide such useful information, your blog is very helpful and appreciated.

      May Allah reward you for your good intentions and efforts, if I gain any useful information during my own experience with the process I will be sure to add it insha Allah.

      ma salaam

      Delete
  3. Hi..thanks for the valuable information. I wonder if you could help me out with a question - I am a Pakistani working in Malaysia on a 2 year work pass and recently brought my wife with me on a visit visa. I applied for her dependent pass through an agent thinking that she would have her pass before her visit visa expires. However, her visa expires on the 24th and I do not have any news from the agent.

    My question is, once the dependent pass has been applied for, will my wife still have to go back on the 24th or does that time count as processing time? I am planning to get her visit visa extended for another month if possible. However, in the event that I cannot manage that by the 24th, will she have to go back? I don't know who to ask and would appreciate if you could help me out. What happens if she overstays? Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Z,

      I am not very sure of the answer, we did asked a similar question to an immigration officer during our entry into Malaysia last February and we were advised to extent our social visit pass at any immigration office should our visit pass expires before the dependant pass visa is approved. However, the validity of this advice has not been confirmed as I did not do so when my visit pass expired. You should ask the agent for a copy of the submission slip or the reference number so that you can check the status with immigration direct should you desire to do so.

      However, I do know for sure that if you do not manage to extend her social visit pass at the immigration office by the 24th, you can still do so before 7 days has lapsed.

      I will try to find out for you regarding "24th counted as part of processing time" on Monday?

      Regards,
      Nur

      Delete
    2. Dear Z,

      Sorry for the late reply, I managed to get through immigration only today. The answer is, if your agent has submitted the application before 24th April, your wife need not exit Malaysia on the 24th of April nor apply for any extension as her application is being processed.

      Hope this helps.

      Regards,
      Nur

      Delete
  4. As salaamu alaikum sister,

    I just left Putra jaya imigresen, I applied for my dependent family's passes and Alhumdulillah the process only took about 20 minutes. Your information was very helpful for preparing the necessary documents and locating the dp11 area on the 3rd floor.

    Although you forgot to mention one important fact, all the passport sized photo used for the DP11a application form must have a blue background. I arrived at imigresen at 7:45a but had to wait until 9a when the photo shops opened to get the correct backgrounds.

    All in all it was a pleasant trip, you saved me a lot of information haggling and wasted time/trips. Thank you for post wa jazakumullahu khairah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa'alaikumussalam,

      Thank you for your kind comment brother/sister, I am sorry that I neglected to note down the background color requirement for the visa. Your added input is greatly appreciated. Other readers, do take note :)

      Delete
  5. Assalamu Allaikum Sister,

    Really appreciate the information you have provided.. I have a concern that my kids have over stayed for about 5 months now.. Can you please provide some information of what the process and fees would be if I apply a dependent pass for them..

    Thanx and Jazakum Allah Kahir...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waalaikumussalam Bro Aamir Hussain,
      5 months overstaying is more than the 30 days (special pass) extension that the immigration usually give. You would have to go to the immigration to declare your overstay and pay the compound imposed (amount is subject to officer's decision based on reason of overstaying), unfortunately, I am unable to advise on the process and fees regarding this. I am currently not in KL, will try to find the info for you when I'm back next week if you still have not gone to the immigration.

      Regards,
      Nur

      Delete
  6. Assalamu Allaikum Sister Nur,

    Ramadhan Mubarak to you and your loved ones...

    Thanks a million for your response.. I have cleared my kids overstay with a compound of RM 100 each and have gotten a 14 days special pass.. I will be going on Monday with the DP11A form and all the relevant documents.. Is it compulsory to take the kids with me?..

    Regards,
    Aamir

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello hv a ? wife is indonesian muslim husband malaysian chinese can a dependent visa be obtain without husband convert to muslim as th marriage was perform oversea and have both the abroad and malaysian marriage cert endorse by the malaysian consulate without the husband to convert to muslim but in malaysia whot will it be to process the issue please advise and thank you in advance

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, the same, ur information is relay helpful and all and me too. and i have one more doubt. i got the above documents of my wife from india. before submitting to the immigration (putrajaya), i want to take any attestation on the my marriage and birth certificate of my son in Indian immigration (Ampang Park)?
    thanks in advance .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Shankar,

      Thanks for dropping by. If the above original documents are not in English, you would have to have it translated in English and attested at Indian Embassy. If the original documents are in English, then there is no need for attestation. You could reconfirm this requirement with the numbers provided above.

      Regards,
      Nur

      Delete
  9. Is that necessary to process this through an agent? I need to get my dependent's passes get processed myself. 2 Kids and wife - how much is that going to cost me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ysir Godli,

      It is not necessary to do this through an agent though it will be less of a hassle and the language barrier problem could be overcome (i.e. you would have trouble understanding their english and they would have trouble understanding yours)

      If your case is clear cut, i.e. no overstaying and you fill up the form, bring the passport photo (blue background) and required documents (translated and certified true copies from your embassy if originals are not in English)and you go to the correct counter, you should be able to do it yourself.

      Cost for dependant pass (including processing fee) is RM140 for your wife and RM140 for your two kids (both kids uses the same application form), total should be RM280. I am not sure how much agents are charging for arranging your dependant pass for you.

      Regards,
      Nur

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much. Are you sure the fees is going to be 140 for both the Kids?

      I have heard the agent is going to charge RM600 + RM36(Service charges) but I am not sure these 636 are the total charges for all my dependents or for a single dependent.

      Regards

      Delete
    3. One more question, can I apply for the dependent pass from Pakistan when I get my employment pass approved? Or I need to be in Malaysia before starting this process?

      If I can start if from Pakistan, what should be the first step?

      Delete
    4. Hi Yasir,

      According to the lady over the phone during my pass process yes, you only need to pay RM140 for both kids not each.

      You can also submit their dependant pass form together with your EP application, your company should be able to arrange that but I'm guessing they are only doing ur EP for you?

      If you would like to start the application from Pakistan (I'm not even sure if its possible) you would need an agent to physically hand in the application on yr behalf at the counter cos they don't have an online application system for dependant pass at the moment.

      Hope this helps.

      Regards

      Delete
    5. Yes, my company is only doing my EP. I don't have passport ready for my kids right now so I cannot submit it with my EP application so I think it would be better that I move to Malaysia first and then start the DP process.

      Could you please guide me what should be the first step for the process when I start working in Malaysia?

      Thank you

      Delete
    6. Dear Yasir Godli,

      The steps are in my posts numbered 1-8, just make sure that you apply for the visa before your family's visit pass expired or if your EP has not been approved yet, go to the immigration and seek extension for their visit pass before it expires while you wait for your EP to be approved.

      Regards,
      Nur

      Delete
    7. Thank you.

      One more question. Who will attest my marriage certificate, is that going to be attested by Malaysian Embassy in Pakistan or Pakistan's Ministry ?

      Also, should I bring all original documents and their copies with me in Malaysia with me to get the process done?

      Delete
    8. Salam Bro Yasir,

      Your marriage cert should be attested by Pakistan's Embassy in Malaysia and yes, you should bring the original and translation in English (if original is not in English) and their copies with you in Malaysia when getting the process done.

      Delete
  10. I am in Pakistan currently and I have got them attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Pakistan. Is that enough or I would further need to get them attest by Pakistan's embassy in MY ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very informative & up to date blog..i have a quick question. I got my EP approved in Kedah state n Malaysia..Is it possible to apply dependent pass for my family in immigration in Penang state?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi All,

    Thank you for reading this post, the purpose of it is to share my experience with you so that it will be easier for all of you to do your application. However, each of us may have unique situations that I do not experience, thus I am unable to provide you with the information that you are looking for. It would be helpful if you would like to share your experience here so that others can benefit from it. But, for further information beyond what is posted, I believe the right place to ask questions are either with an experienced agent or call up the number that I supplied in my post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. And One more question .. do i need my company approval , except of a stamp for my parents dependent visa ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. As Salam o ale kum

    I want to ask ... I have valid work permit (employment visa) issued by my company ... Can I do business by using that visa ??

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a doubt about my dependant pass... i planned to go malaysia in a tourist visa, later will apply for dependant pass.. but my doubt is once the dependant pass is approved should i be go out of malaysia and get endorsement in my passport from the malaysian embassy at outside malaysian country (may be singapore, india), then only can come to malaysia is it or not?

    In Indonesia it is like that, but how about in Malaysia if anybody knows about this pls. clear it.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Nur Salmah Abdul Aziz,

    I am from Pakistan and admitted in Universiti Technologi Petronas with scholarship. I am coming to Malaysia in May 2013. Can my wife come with me in Malaysia? or will she come after me? Or what documents is required to apply for her visa/pass?
    Appreciate your reply.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear T Abbas,

    I have actually stopped replying to comments as I am not qualified to answer any question that is beyond my experience. However, since I did experience a similar situation like what you are asking, my advice is to ask your university since the student pass will be handled by their student pass department and any dependant pass visa will also have to be done through them. Previously, I entered Malaysia together with my husband while his student pass was still under process, I was on social visit pass (30 days) then I extended the pass at the immigration, I cant remember what pass it was( no need to go Putrajaya, I went to Damansara)but I needed to show my husband's admission letter as proof that he is studying in the local u, I cant remember if I needed to show my marriage certificate.

    Again, I would advise you to check with the student pass department of your university.

    Thanks,
    Nur

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi - i am currently working in KL on employment pass. My dependents (wife and 2 kids) entered Malaysia on 1 month social visit pass on 5th April. We applied for dependents pass on 11th April - however till now,dependent pass is not approved

    I am getting worried now because the social visit pass for them has expired on 4th may and am worried whether this will be called as overstay. Can you please advise.

    Do i need to send back my dependents back home to India for temporary basis...or should i apply for extension of social visit pass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Unknown,

      It it normal that the process will take some time. You dependants need not exit Malaysia as their submission is being processed. You can call up the visa department hotline to check the status of your submission.

      Delete
  19. Really really very helpful... Thank GOD I read your blog before applying for my wife n kids dependent pass...
    Again.. very helpful info.. I am bookmarking your blog for future reference.
    Cheers.. And keep doing the good work.
    Amrit

    ReplyDelete
  20. really helpful. jazakallah khair sister.

    I am going to apply for dependant pass for my wife and children. they are currently at Bangladesh. Can I apply for the dependant pass while they are at Bangladesh? Do I need to bring their original passport?

    Thanks and best Regards,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi,
    I have come on work visa in Malaysia and I want to get my Mother ( as she is alone in India ) to stay with me long term.

    1) Is she Eligible for dependent Visa (even if my company is not sponsoring it) and how long can she stay in that visa?
    2) Do I need a company cover letter & Letter of Authority for my Mother's visa
    3) Where can i get the Personal Bond done?

    Will really appreciate your help.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi,

    Thanks for your comments. These comments really helped in understanding the process. I am currently working in Malaysia and going to apply for the dependent pass for my wife and kid next month.

    Regards,
    Umair

    ReplyDelete
  23. Plz share with me how long does it take to receive an approval after the submission of the documents for dependent pass via HR of the University of my spouse?
    we are waiting for 6 weeks already and there is no response yet... the system indicates that the documents were submitted and that's all (we looked through the pc of HR secretary)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi my wife's previous dependant pass expires on August 12th.. Ans I am applying on 7th August.. Is it too late? Is there a possibility they might say she overstayed?

    ReplyDelete