Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pony Riding at Gallop Stable

Pony Riding for Kids at Gallop Stable

Pony riding in Singapore? A few years ago, I wouldn't even know that such things existed. But after being a mom of 2 boys and forever trying to find interesting activities to keep the kids occupied, one tends to be quite resourceful in finding information about fun places for kids in Singapore.

There are a few places for your kids to enjoy pony rides in Singapore

1) Singapore Zoo - but unless you are already there, it is highly unlikely you will make a special visit to the zoo just for the pony ride at the Rainforest Kidzworld.

2) Bukit Timah Saddle Club @ 51 Fairways Drive - Adjacent to Rider's Cafe; Sundays 10 am - 1 pm @ $10/ride

3) Horse City @ 100 Turf Club - Sat & Sun 10.00 am - 11.30 am, 4.00pm - 7.00 pm @ $10/ride

4) Gallop Stable @ 61 Pasir Ris Green - Tues - Sun 8.00 am - 12.00 pm , 2.00 pm - 7.00 pm @ $10/ride

(Horse City and Gallop Stable are under the same management).


Some of the ponies at Gallop Stable that you can feed

I brought my kids (3 years old and 20 months old) and my small cousin (4 years old) to Gallop Stable on a Thursday afternoon for them to see the ponies and maybe feed them. There were only 2 ponies around; Charlie (Brown and white) and Jasmine (White) a few other couples were also there and feeding the ponies.

The horse taken out for a run at Gallop Stable

It was around 4.30pm and the handler at Gallop Stable had taken out a horse for a run at a gated compound next to the pony line. The children had fun watching the horse gallop and run and grunt. It was magnificent watching the horse and also quite scary as it is not impossible for the horse to just gain momentum and jump over the fence. I find myself wondering whether I have the time to grab the three kids out of the way should anything unpleasant happen. Fortunately, everything was fine.

My small cousin was pretty excited to ride a pony, so we decide to let him give it a go. 1 pony ride cost $10 and lasted maybe 5 minutes. It's just one round but much better than the donkey ride at the Animal Park near Colmar Tropicale in Selangor. The minimum age for the pony ride is 2 years old.


The handler at Gallop Stable preparing the pony for my cousin's ride

My 20 month old posing on the pony.
After riding the pony, I asked the kids whether they want to feed the ponies and the answer was a resounding "No". So, I had to feed the pony with the feed that I had bought at $1 per packet. I confess that I am actually a scaredy cat myself and luckily I only bought 1 packet of feed. The pony is quite gentle and seems focused on eating but did not bite or eat greedily. It felt a bit tinglish as you feel the pony's breath on your palm. I was squirmish too, half expecting to feel the pony's teeth or tongue. Phew, I was glad that was over. Would be better if the feed is long sticks of carrots or leaves or even apples. at least the ponies don't need to munch from our palm. 

It was a nice visit and the kids enjoyed themselves. They even pretended that they were horses and kept galloping around the horse at home imitating the big horse that was running in the gated compound earlier. 

If you plan to visit Gallop Stable; do park your car at Pasir Ris Park Car Park C and if  you are taking public transportation; the nearest MRT station is Pasir Ris. Gallop Stable is a walking distance away.


Gallop Stable at Pasir Ris
Sitting Area

Map of Gallop Stable


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment